Floodplain Definition A floodplain is the area adjoining a waterway that may be covered by floodwater during a flood. Stormwater runoff and flood events may cause alterations in the floodplain in certain areas.
Floodplain management is a program that uses corrective and preventative measures to reduce flood and erosion damage and preserve natural habitat and wildlife resources in flood prone areas. Some of these measures include:
- Adopting and administering floodplain regulations
- Resolving drainage complaints
- Protecting riparian habitat communities
- Assuring effective maintenance
- Operation of flood control works
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Tennessee is located within Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Region IV.