Business Licenses


If you are located within the City of Cleveland then you will need to purchase a business license (PDF) from the City Clerk's office. We are located within the City's Municipal Building. The zoning classification form (PDF) needs to be completed before a business license can be issued.

The application fee is $15. You can pay by cash, check, or we can accept a credit card payment in our office. Even though you may have registered with the State of Tennessee for business taxes, you will still need to submit the application and the fee to the City of Cleveland.

Beer Permit License

If you are located within the City of Cleveland and need a Beer Permit, please fill out this Beer Permit License Form (PDF) and return to City Clerk's office.  We are located within the City's Municipal Building.

File Update Form

Fire Inspection

If you operate a business where the public will enter your establishment, you may be required to have a fire inspection. There is a $25 inspection fee. You can set up your inspection by calling (423) 559-3340.

Solicitor's Permit Application

Transient Vendor Permit Application

Bradley County License

If you are located within the City of Cleveland then you will need both a City of Cleveland and a Bradley County Business License. You can obtain a Bradley County Business License at the courthouse. Their phone number is (423) 728-7226. They will be able to assist you in completing the necessary application.

State Tax Number

This office can supply you with an application for a State Sales Tax Number or you can contact the State of Tennessee's Chattanooga office. Their phone number is (423) 634-6266. They can assist you with any questions that you may have.

Business Tax

  • If you are opening a new business you will need to check to make sure that the location is properly zoned for your proposed business. Please contact the city planner by calling (423) 479-1913.
  • If you are making any changes to the building that will house your business you will need to speak with the Chief Building Official regarding building permits. Please contact the building department by calling (423) 479-1913.
  • Online business tax filing is now available through the Tennessee Department of Revenue's web site.
  • You are required to obtain a City of Cleveland Business License if you anticipate your annual gross receipts being $3,000 or more.
  • The initial business license application fee is $15.
  • You may apply for your business license Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
  • Each year the license must be renewed and tax is assessed based on the gross receipts earned during the tax period. This must be paid to the department of revenue.
  • You are also required to obtain a business license from Bradley County.


Businesses that gross less than $3,000 a year are exempt. The following businesses are exempt regardless of their gross receipts:

  • Accountants
  • Attorneys
  • Dentists
  • Doctors
  • Insurance agents
  • Loan companies
  • Manufacturers
  • Public utilities (T.C.A. 67-4-708)
  • Religious organizations
  • Schools
  • Security exchanges
  • Veterinarians