Property Taxes Property taxes in Tennessee are paid in arrears for the year they are due. Current calendar year property taxes are due from October 1 of the current year through February 28 of the next calendar year without penalty or interest. If payment is not received or postmarked by February 28, starting the first of March, and each month thereafter, a 1.5% penalty and interest fee is added to the base tax amount. Penalty and interest continue to accrue the first of every month, up to 18% (12 months), then delinquent taxes will be turned over to the Bradley County Clerk and Master's office.
Property tax bills for the current calendar year are mailed the first week in October of the same year. If you received a bill and your mortgage company escrows your taxes please forward the bill to your mortgage company with your next payment. In recent years, mortgage companies have bought and sold mortgages more frequently than ever. We often find that the company recorded at the courthouse is not the current mortgage holder. Many citizens complained about lack of notice, so we decided to send all bills to the taxpayer.
Paying Your Taxes
If you live inside the city limits you will also pay county taxes. All Bradley County residents pay county taxes. In Tennessee, you must pay two separate bills if you live inside city limits. For more information regarding your county taxes, please contact the Bradley County Trustee's office at (423) 728-7247.
The City of Cleveland offers various ways to pay your property taxes.
- By mail: Make checks payable to the City of Cleveland. Do not mail cash or use bank counter checks. (To insure proper posting, please include the bill number on your check) and mail to: P.O. Box 1519 Cleveland, TN 37364
- In person: The Municipal Building is open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Cash, checks, money orders, and credit cards are accepted. Go to: Municipal Building 190 Church Street NE Cleveland, TN 37364
- Our drop box located outside the front door of Municipal Building for payments. Please be sure to include a copy of your tax bill or write the bill number on your check.
- Online Payments are available via our Online Property Tax System. Credit cards (Visa, MasterCard and Discover) and electronic checks are accepted with this system. There is a convenience fee of 2.75% for credit cards and electronic checks. The City of Cleveland does not receive any portion of this fee.
- Partial Payments :The City Clerk's Office began accepting partial property tax payments in 2014. The entire amount of taxes due must be paid in full prior to the first day of March.Partial payments may be paid for any tax that is payable at the City Clerk's Office, even a delinquent tax. However, partial payments may not be accepted for a delinquent tax that has been submitted to the Clerk and Master's Office. Forms must be completed before a taxpayer can participate in this programs
2. Partial Property Tax Payment Agreement Form
- Payment Plan: The City Clerk's Office established a twelve month payment plan in 2014 for property tax payments. In order to enroll in this program, taxpayers must complete the required forms by February 15 of a calendar year in order to be eligible to participate in the program of that same year. Monthly payments will be deducted beginning on March 15th, and on the 15th day of each subsequent month. Forms must be completed in order to participate in this program.